Californians are very aware of the increase in people living along our roads and waterways. Every level of government and numerous nonprofits have collected enormous revenues with very little progress in creating new housing.
- Worked tirelessly to advocate for Laura’s law (a temporary conservatorship program for
the Mentally Ill)
- Voted for Every permanent low-income housing project
- Supported many innovative ways to house our unhoused, including conversion of empty
government-owned buildings into housing. https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2018/08/23/old-sj-city-hall-annex-sparks-debate-homelessness/
- Worked with faith-based organizations to launch overnight parking and provide temporary housing in churches.
- Supported hotel conversion programs
- Delivered rent subsidy assistance programs to prevent homelessness.
We know there are many factors that lead to homelessness. We need to address these factors in a holistic manner. We cannot continue to throw money in a futile attempt to end homelessness without looking at the root causes. As your supervisor, I will fight to create mental health and drug addiction units in every county-owned hospital. I will partner with our faith communities to help give shelter and hope to our unhoused. I will demand accountability and substantial results from government-funded programs.