Climate change is real and our generation’s solemn responsibility to address.
As a former San Jose Council member, I had a strong record of supporting legislation that directly impacts climate action and environmental stewardship.
As your supervisor, I will:
- Continue to work to protect and preserve open space land.
- Work with the various organizations, such Cattleman’s Association, Farm Bureau and Horseman’s Association to protect agricultural land.
- Work to ensure that tax money will be appropriately distributed towards wildfire prevention and protection.
- Push for electrification of the county fleet.
- Work to expand solar cell usage at county buildings.
- Look for ways to continue implementation of the County’s Climate Action Plan.
Johnny Khamis has:
- Supported San Jose Measure C to protect Evergreen Foothills from being developed.
- Supported San Jose Measure T which helped to secure hundreds of acres to preserve and protect the Coyote Valley
- Worked with The Open Space Authority to buy three (3) parcels of land near Almaden Lake allowing for the expansion of Almaden Lake Park and expanding trails in the Santa Teresa foothills.
- Supported the creation of a local, not-for-profit electricity supplier San Jose Clean Energy, a Community Choice Aggregation program for San Jose
- Supported the preservation of land near our water treatment facilities to protect the Burrowing Owls.
- Wrote legislation which would limit the use of plastic straws in restaurants.
- Researched new ways to recycle dirty plastics. Tasked San Jose’s Environmental Services Department to pursue the feasibility for implementation.
- Worked with the community to adopt eight parks including Guadalupe Oak Grove Park where we are attempting to save and restore a Blue Oak Savanna
- Wrote a Lawn Maintenance Equipment Exchange program, allowing people to exchange gas powered mowers and blowers for electric ones. Sadly, this did not pass.